What is Marketing? What are Sales, Branding, and Economics? How do these things relate to each other?
If Marketing is like asking someone out on a date, then the answer ‘Yes’ is because of strong Branding, and Economics tells you the place you should go for a date.
In this article, I’m going to talk about:
- The Law of Marketing
- Traditional Marketing vs Digital Marketing
- Integrated Digital Marketing
- The CATT Framework
- Personal Branding: Masstrust Blueprint
- Your Profitable Niche
- My plan to make 1 crore
- My personal experiences in Marketing / Sales / Branding
This article will be useful for bloggers, professionals, freelancers, mentors, and entrepreneurs.
The Law of Marketing:
Marketing revolves around five things: people, product, price, promotion, and platform.
Everyone believes that for marketing you need to be creative, e.g. you need a very unique slogan for your advertising campaign, but it’s not like that, Marketing is Science.
For me, Marketing is communicating the right message with the right audience at the right time which leads to a healthy business-customer relationship and eventually Sales.
But, if you have a shitty product that no one will buy, all your marketing efforts will go to waste. Never let marketing become more important than the product itself. A great product sells itself.
Not only a great product will sell itself, but it will also create brand ambassadors. Word of mouth is the best Marketing ever.
Marketing starts even before creating a product, before creating a product or a service you need to research if there’s a need or a demand for the product you want to create.
E.g. If you are selling earphones, maybe you won’t get the sales you are hoping for because nowadays people don’t have audio jacks in their smartphones, and people do prefer wireless earphones like Apple Airpods or Oneplus Bullets.
Traditional Marketing vs Digital Marketing:
Marketing is not where you do it, it’s how you do it. The platforms where marketing is done might change, but the core marketing fundamentals and concepts will never change.
Traditional Marketing: Traditional Marketing refers to the type of marketing that isn’t online. This means Newspapers, Television, Radio, Pamphlets, Posters, etc.
Digital Marketing: Digital Marketing is about driving more customers, beat any products or services using digital technologies primarily through the internet. Different modules of Digital Marketing are SEO, Social Media, SEM, Content Marketing, Email Marketing, etc.
Traditional Marketing OR Digital Marketing? Which is better?
In my opinion, Digital Marketing is a better option, because let’s face it, in this digital age, the reach of traditional marketing is dying. Whereas everybody now has a smartphone and a major part of the world’s population is now on the internet and more and it’s increasing day by day.
- Digital Marketing is 62% cost-effective than Traditional Marketing.
- Platforms like T.V. in Traditional Marketing is now being replaced by OTT platforms like Netflix.
- In Traditional Marketing, you hire a team of salespeople who will go out in the market and sell your product whereas, in Digital Marketing, you just need to create a great Landing Page and write a great Sales copy and drive traffic to it through Ads.
- In Traditional Marketing, big brands like Amul can afford to run T.V. Ads but small business owners cannot afford to pay media channels millions but in Digital Marketing even a small business owner like a small bakery can use digital mediums like Social Media, run affordable ads and get sales.
- Ads are not well targeted in Traditional Marketing, whereas in Digital Marketing you can run ads for a highly targeted audience. E.g. If a Jewellery Company is running Ads on a T.V. show, their ads are being seen by everyone, men, women, and children, but in Digital Marketing they can run ads and target only women, which will save them a lot of money.
- In Traditional Marketing, Brands are dependent on Media Channels to reach their audience. But in Digital Marketing they can become their own media channel, publish content, and drive customer action directly. (CATT Funnel)
Note: While writing this article, I was listening to music on Spotify and received an ad which is a good example of Digital Marketing.
Integrated Digital Marketing:
Different Digital Marketing Modules:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Content Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Search Engine Marketing
Search Engine Optimization: SEO is the process of getting traffic from the “free”, “organic”, “editorial” or natural search results on search engines.
Content Marketing: It is a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly defined audience to drive profitable customer action.
Social Media Marketing: It refers to the process of gaining traffic or attention through social media sites. Note: Social Media is the fastest growing trend in the history of the world.
Email Marketing: It is the use of email to promote products and/or services but a better definition is the use of email to develop relationships with potential customers.
Search Engine Marketing: It is the process of gaining website traffic by purchasing ads on search engines e.g. Google Adwords.
(insert image here)
Look at Integrated Digital Marketing as a team where Content is the leader and various other digital marketing methods are like steam members. Instead of asking each member to achieve the goal of increasing the company’s customer base on its own, Integrated Digital Marketing will make use of each member’s strengths and produce a result which is more than the sum of the individual achievements of each member.
E.g. If a digital coach is selling online courses, just uploading courses to LMS and driving traffic to the sales page won’t give him the revenue he is expecting. He needs to create a business model including all the digital marketing methods.
- He can write good quality articles related to his niche, to rank on Google to get free traffic on his website, and a small percentage of people who like the article will end up buying his course.
- He can create lead magnets like a short ebook and give it for free to generate leads for himself and then convert them using a follow-up system.
- He can run an affiliate program and provide a commission to people who refer his course to their audience.
- He can do webinars to provide massive value and do a sales pitch at the end of the webinar because he has warmed up the audience which has a high chance of converting.
The use of Digital Marketing methods in Integrated Digital Marketing
- Writing good quality content that the audience is searching for to rank on Google using SEO strategies and having a subscribe button at the bottom to add people to your email list.
- Engaging with an audience on Social Media Platforms for personal branding and genuine fan following.
- Using Email Marketing to communicate and follow up with the audience.
- Search Engine Marketing to convert people with high intent from traffic to repeat customers.
- Creating epic content and repurposing it for different channels.
The CATT Framework:
Content > Attention > Trust > Transaction
Let’s say there’s a business selling a product or service. You start with identifying the target audience – the set of people who need the solution for their problems.
Then you either create content to reach them organically or run ads. People are visiting your website. What happens when you ask them for a sale in their first interaction?
The odds of this approach working is zero because people don’t know you. They don’t know who you are, what you offer, they won’t care about it.
Right there, you need to use the CATT Framework, but how?
Content: You need to publish content in different formats. You can publish articles for people who read a lot, you can make videos for people who like watching rather than reading, you can do podcasts about topics related to your niche. “You just need a piece of content that reaches your targeted audience”.
Attention: Once you publish content, you need to drive attention to your business organically or by running ads, once you do that “your targeted audience will start engaging with it”.
Trust: When your audience is engaging with your content, you need to build trust in their eyes using a follow-up system to warm the audience for sales and transacting with you.
Transact: People trust you. Now you are ready to ask them to buy your products or services. Not all of them will buy but if you do everything right in the CATT framework you’ll have a good conversion rate.
Personal Branding: Masstrust Blueprint
Gone are those days when only media people or big entrepreneurs would have a personal brand. Now everyone can become a Personal Brand. I’m not saying you need lakhs of people who follow you on social media platforms. But you only need a few thousand genuine people who follow you and your work.
But how? To build a strong personal brand, you need to use the Masstrust Blueprint.
Learn: Learn a new skill through concepts, Facts, and Procedures. Understand the Concepts. Remember the facts and practice the Procedures.
Work: Just learning theory and teaching people the same is not enough. You need to implement everything you learn, see what works, and what doesn’t.
Blog: Write about what you’ve learned and experienced through your work. When you write, you understand it better. Blogging will start bringing traffic to your website and you’ll start building your brand.
Consult: Through your Blog, you have a Personal Brand and now with your experience, you can consult other businesses instead of working for them.
Mentor: Now train people who want to be just like you, mentoring other people will take you understanding to a whole new level.
StartUp: With the understanding that you have developed about the market, the problems, and your skills, you can start a product or services business.
E.g. If you want to a brand as a Sales Expert, learn selling skills, learn how to close clients, learn how to drive sales for businesses by investing in paid courses and training programs.
Implement the tactics and methods you’ve learned, if you are a professional, use your knowledge to get a promotion, if a freelancer, help your clients get more sales, if an entrepreneur, grow your business.
Write on your blog about how you helped other businesses get more sales and how your strategies work. This will start building trust in your audience.
Now that you’re blogging about sales, many business owners will try to contact you to help them. Consult them instead of working for them on how they can get more sales.
You can now start mentoring other people let’s say freelancers who are struggling with the sales part and teach them how to get more freelancing projects.
You can now start your own business. If you are passionate about electronics, you can use your sales knowledge and sell more laptops, computers, and accessories.
Your Profitable Niche
You need to keep 3 things in mind while selecting your niche: Passion, Talent, and Market.
Passion: If you don’t have passion in the field you are choosing, you won’t enjoy your work. It will feel like a burden, and eventually, you will quit.
Talent: If you are not talented enough and if you don’t have any skills, you won’t be able to grow yourself and your business.
Market: If you are selling something that no one is interested in buying, then you’ll not get any revenue, and you won’t be able to make any profits.
E.g. If I’m passionate about Smart Phones, I’ll do market research that how many people require a smartphone and what is the budget of people to spent on it. After the market research, I can see that every generation demands a smartphone, so there’s a scope to earn a lot of profits. But I also need engineering skills to manufacture a device that can be sold in the market.
My Plan to Make 1 crore
Having 1 crore in your Bank Account in nothing less than an achievement.
If you want to make 1 crore, you need to do one of these 4 things:
- Get 1,00,000 customers and sell them a product which cost 100/- INR
- Get 10,000 customers and sell them a product which cost 1,000/- INR
- Get 1,000 customers and sell them a product which cost 10,000/- INR
- Get 100 customers and sell them a product which cost 1,00,000/- INR
Let’s see how can I make 1 crore using these 4 cases
I’m a Digital Marketer, and to make 1 crore
- I can write an ebook on Digital Marketing and can sell it for 100/- to 1,00,000 people who are new in Digital Marketing. If I spent 20 lakhs on ads, I end up making a profit of 80 lakhs, that’s not bad. I can follow up with my customers and sell them another product of mine and with a good conversion rate and can surpass the 1 crore achievement.
- I can position myself as a Digital Marketing Expert and provide a consulting service to companies and businesses. I can charge Rs. 1000 per hour for my time, I can consult 10,000 entrepreneurs and reach that 1 crore mark.
- I can mentor people and make them my students, I can sell online courses and become a Digital Coach. If I sell a course of Rs. 10,000 to 1,000 students, I can generate 1 crore.
- I can start my own Digital Marketing Agency, work for clients from around the world, charge them for my services. If I charge them 1,00,000 and I work for 100 such clients so my Agency can bring me a revenue of 1 Crore.
My Experience in Marketing/ Sales/ and Branding
Ever since my childhood, I’ve been passionate about Business since I come from a Business Family.
However, I fell in love with Marketing much later when I started working at my Uncle’s Wholesale Store in 2018. I worked there for nearly a year and In that period, I had learned more about Business, Sales, Marketing, and customer psychology than what I had learned in over a decade at School. I wanted to do something amazing, but I didn’t want to sit all day on the chair and just talk to the customers while the staff of the store does all the work. So, I stopped working at the store.
During my 12th Pre boards in Feb 2019, I was browsing through YouTube and saw a video “Top 5 Upcoming Careers in India” acknowledging me about Digital Marketing as a Career. It was amazing. As soon as my 12th Boards ended on 2nd April 2019, I started learning and applying Digital Marketing.
I started my Digital Marketing by helping Local Stores set up their “Google My Business” and get Local Branding. On 1st January 2020, I created my own website (ankurjeswani.com). I started getting clients from my network and I was able to bring amazing results to each one of them. On 3rd April, I was appointed as Head of Digital Marketing & Brand Consultancy in a Mumbai based Company, WebTech Digital Solutions as an independent contractor. One of my friends from an Engineering College in Mumbai was the Co-Founder and was impressed with my knowledge and skills in Marketing.
I worked on many different projects in the company. There were 7 marketing interns (22 total), I trained them, I did webinars for them, I taught the basics of Advertising & Marketing and how to run Ad Campaigns.
Since then, I have been a Marketing Consultant to many small businesses and new startups, helping them to generate leads and find new customers through Digital Marketing!
Book a FREE Consultation Call with me! Click Here